Friday, January 16, 2009

Vincent Van Gogh


I remembered something while I was running with TZ today. I feel like it's worth documenting in order for me to preserve this thought that has escaped me for years. We were talking about baby names and some of the horrendous choices we've heard lately and as the conversation evolved, I was reminded of the hours Jimmy and I spent trying to pick the perfect name for our first teeny girl. Then, things progressed down memory lane about the newborn and the pre-school-er when I remembered this scene...It was Olivia's turn to present a letter at pre-school and since she was assigned the letter V it was hard to come up with something she could retain. Finally, I found a book of artwork and a matchbox car shaped like a van and taught her this phrase......

VINCENT MAKES THE VAN GO!

She ran around for days singing about Vincent and Vans and who knew then that she would become so creative in the earliest of growing up years? She makes doll clothes out of rags and old towells. Yesterday, she brought me a 3-D display explaining all the details of something important to her and today she is making all kinds of pretty colors while barfing into the toilet. A real artist uses all kinds of mediums, you know.

I love Olivia and I'm so glad her name is not Apple or Helga or Jocelyn Arian Nation. It's Olivia! And it suits her perfectly.

The end.

1 comment: