Saturday, January 17, 2009

Is Buffy still a vampire slayer?

I had to run 14 miles today. Tonya and I opted for some seasonal-affective-disorder defense in the form of sunshine. That's right! We actually ran in the daylight hours and it was awesome. With the risk of sounding like a surfer, I dare say, it was totally awesome, dude! Loved it. Anyway, regardless of the vitamin D therapy one's brain still gets a little loopy when you run that far and the conversations can be pretty interesting. And poor Tonya... love her for putting up with me and my incessant sarcasm. Let me replay a convo we had today. On the heels of Tonya mentioning her daughter's reluctance to watch a certain movie because it was "old and in black and white" I stated my opinion about today's music. (Yes, I'm getting old! I can't even count the number of times I've yelled at my kids to "Turn that down!") Anyway, I suggested that while I, personally enjoy many of today's hits, I feel that in 5 years, most of it will be completely irrelevant. Then, Tonya countered with the name of a song that has the possibility of being more of a classic. I agreed, but stated that too many of these songs have trendy lyrics and phrases that won't withstand the test of time. In response, Tonya says....(insert drum roll here) "I know! Slay me! I totally agree with you!....." I couldn't make out the rest of her reply because I was laughing so hard. Of course, I had to point out the irony. and the timing. But lest you feel me insensitive for making fun of her attempts to sound like her teenage daughter I will tell you that she TRASHED me climbing the hill at the end of our route. She did, in fact SLAY me, if you will. So, I think we're even.

No comments:

Post a Comment