Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reflections from a overly-tired mind.

My kids are awesome. Hard, and crazy, and busy, and stubborn, but awesome. While Olivia was at the pool for swim team the rest of the kids followed me over to pound out a few miles on the treadmill. I asked them if they just wanted to stay home and watch a movie...but no, they wanted to come work out with me. After each set of exercises they would flex and ask me if their muscles were bigger. "Of course they are!" I said. Which makes me think about life and the fact that we should pause sometimes to flex our muscles to see if our efforts are working out for us. If they aren't, we should try something else. Right?

My church teaches us about service. We are taught that when we are in the service of our fellow man we are in the service of our God. I believe in service. At least, I thought I did. I considered myself thoughtful and made efforts to serve others. But as I've learned more recently about how easy it is to REALLY serve those
who TRULY can't help themselves. I think it's time for me to flex my muscles, guage my progress, and try something new. I have an idea for a project. It's going to take a while and I pray that it works out and that I don't lose steam.

In this economy craziness I think it will be easy for me to get stressed over money and everyday things to the point that I can't think about others. I don't want that. There are financial complications all over the country but even that thought is too small right now. And I want to think bigger. And be bigger.

I have a friend named Lisa. She races for a charity called Aids Orphans Rising. She is amazing and she works hard to help these kids that are left alone in this world to fend for themselves and for their families. 10 year olds taking care of siblings, going to school, and working a farm, and just trying to get fed each day.

Service. I have learned a different meaning of the word (other than just a plate of cookies.) And it's time. Is it time for you too? Whatever we do, let's do it with heart and flex all our muscles to find out how strong we really are.

1 comment:

  1. Jennica- I read your blog! I hear you! :) I'm a friend of Jimmy's from high school & Barbara used to be my Laurel Advisor. She emailed your blog link to me and enjoy reading it! I agree with you completely on this one. I'm organizing a 5K in my area as a part of www.dayofservice2009.org - check it out. I also have a blog, by the way. It's http://diaryofamormonmama.blogspot.com - I'm not as fast as you, but I did finish a marathon last month and you can read about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete