Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It is what it is.

I've been distracted. Have you ever had a project that was so big you couldn't even start it because the enormity of it clouds your ability to plan your process? A thesis, an essay, something important to you? It's huge. So it requires a blueprint of sorts and the starting point isn't always obvious. It's...confusion wrapped in indecisiveness disguised as procrastination. But regardless, it doesn't get done.

I have the opposite of that. Well, actually I have both.... My focus on one project has made it difficult to complete the others but that's another story. For months, I have been planning and systematically checking off miles in preparation for this test. A presentation of my fitness, if you will. I have been throwing all kinds of different balls into the air, calculating paces, experimenting with re-fueling calories, adjusting for and dealing with injuries and all of it before 7:00 a.m. I'm a multi-tasker. And...

I think I'm ready. I'm not feeling the stress of cramming like you would for a test not prepared for. Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of constantly a bit queasy with nerves and I'm tensing a bit. My naivete with the pain associated with recovering from a marathon is long gone. I know exactly what to expect. In the middle of the night after my 1st one I awoke to my sister giving me a handful of pills and a cup of water saying, "Honey, take these. You are whimpering in your sleep." It hurts. Bad. And though I cringe a little just thinking about it...I think I'm ready. I have reached the acceptance stage of this process. I know I have done everything I can do to this point and the only thing left is to brave it out and go hard. And I'm ready.

I'm ready to push the limits and go for it and at the end of the day, as always, I will remind myself that no matter what happens....

It is what it is.

5 comments:

  1. Cold, crisp is the air
    Chills bone, but never the will
    Just one more mile left

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's Chad?

    You like me! you really, really like me! (That was a classic Sally Fields quote.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennica- I love your blog, by the way and swoop by once in a while. Just wanted to give you a heads up that there is a giveaway going on at Rexburbia.com for Big Juds, all you have to do is leave a comment about what you did for Spring Break. We're trying to generate buzz for the website. Want to participate? $20 aint bad, right, even though your highly-toned runner's body probably isn't used to that kind of meal :)

    Also, I think you are such a good writer! I would love to read a story from you about running in Rexburg, training there, where you like to go for a good run, that sort of thing. Let me know if you're interested and we'll publish it for you on the website.

    ReplyDelete