Sunday, April 26, 2009

FICKLE



photo from wikipedia

I woke up this morning and wanted crepes. I love crepes. Experimenting with different flavors is kind of fun and this morning my helping hands (aka all four of my kids) and I decided we would make coconut crepes with some homemade strawberry and blueberry filling.

Delicious!

There is one draw-back to crepes though; They take forever to make and I stand at the stove making one. crepe. at. a. time. until everyone is full. They clean up their dishes and plant their stuffed bellies downstairs on the couch and I'm still starving and spooning batter. Then, I eat by myself and clean up the rest of the mess.

It's worth it. I get some serious love from my family when I make crepes. "Mmmmm. Mommy, you are the best cook-er ever." "This is soooo good." "Thank you, Mommy." "I love you, mommy."

Wow. A girl could really get used to that, right? I kind of wished I hadn't gotten rid of my super-hero costume; I totally could have rocked a cape in the kitchen this morning.

I felt so good about myself that I made these. Chocolate mint macaroons. I basically used the recipe I found at Picky Palate. Her blog button is on your right.


Photo from Picky Palate

Everybody loved these.

BUT..

I must have needed to be humbled.

At the request of my husband who was wishing for some comfort food, I made this cheese burger pie. I made it exactly according to the recipe and if you know me this is very rare. I always change or add things. But not this time. It's a pretty basic, old school, easy recipe. Nothing fancy or special.



Photo from Betty Crocker

Jimmy was very happy. I found it satisfying. The rest of them, not so much. "Wahhhhhh." "Um, I'm not hungry. Can I eat it later?" "Ohhhh, my stomach hurts." "What is that?!!! Sick!"

Am I raising a bunch of food snobs? Do I need to introduce casseroles into our diet? Should I stop putting pesto in our grilled cheese and instead just use plastic-wrapped cheese? Should I buy toaster waffles and hot dogs? Bologna?

No cape needed tonight.

I can't wait to see how popular I am tomorrow when I feed them the left-overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment