Monday, April 20, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINC!

I have an active imagination. My brain sees things that my reality doesn't always want to duplicate. Like once, for example, after I had grown and delivered three children with my very own body I figured I'd try some of my old gymnastic tricks in the backyard. No sweat, right? Not even the well-placed mattress could spare me from the resulting jammed wrist and a gigantic head-ache.

Oops.

I have a friend named Carole. That's Carol with an E to you. She is awesome. She knows how to "embrace" life and all its' good qualities. Once I felt slighted by something that happened around us but it didn't seem to affect her. I asked her about it and this was her reply ...

"I just assume that everybody likes me and that it's nothing personal."

JUST. LIKE. THAT.

She just MAKES A CHOICE that her imaginations are going to match her reality.

And they do.

I kind of wish I knew stuff about philosophy. Or wax, for that matter. I could really go on about this concept in a manner that would impress even Socrates but again my delusions are just that so I will simply say...I think that's a cool idea.

Perhaps someday, my actual creations will behave and show up in this dimension more like the seed I planted in my head. While I do appreciate variety, sometimes when I plant a pear tree I'd like to indulged in juicy pears, not apples.

Case in point #1 I have been training and planning for my marathon to go a certain way and while the results should really be satisfying to me now...I got the apples and not the pears. And plenty of people would be happy; These apples finished faster than about 90% of all but I still really wanted a pear this time.

Case in point #2 It's Lincoln's birthday. His birthday cake was awesome! (In my head.) Here's the result; The real, honest to goodness, this is my cake and I'm blowing out the candles, reality of the thing...

A picture is worth a thousand words.



Even Socrates would be at a loss here. Keep in mind that I did my darnedest to take the most flattering picture possible. I know, it's apples. And apples are tasty.

But I had pears on the brain!

This is when I have to channel my good friend Carol with an E and just "embrace" it.

Or maybe I'll just drown it. In frosting. Gobs and gobs of apple frosting!

2 comments:

  1. Haha oh my Jen... the cake is not half bad! As long as there's no clumps of hair in the middle I am sure it is fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, at least there isn't any hair in it. Although, I did want to pull my hair out while making it. The moisture in the air was wreaking havic with my frosting.

    ReplyDelete