Sunday, March 1, 2009

FOR THE LOVE!


Ya know what?! Things change. Seasons. Minds. Taste buds. Bodies. Babies. Lives. Sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it happens so slowly that you might not even notice it until someone else points it out and the wheels get going and all of the sudden you realize how much time has passed and the changes are huge.

I used to love chocolate frozen yogurt smothered in strawberries. It was such a perfect mixture of sweet and sour and smooth. The chocolate was rich and full and the berries were tart and sassy. Oh, it was tasty. Once, I found such a treat left on my doorstep when prior plans prevented me from going out with this guy for the evening. Boy, was he smart!! He knew how to keep my attention...

Jimmy and I were driving down-town yesterday for dinner and a movie when we saw these huge letters stomped out in the snow. Across from the temple. Marry me? Jimmy groaned. I smiled. "That's cheesy." he said. "It's romantic and cheesy." I countered and this led to a discussion about what Jimmy considered to be romantic. Ummm. I can't really reveal those details here. Hi, mom! Sometimes, actions speak louder than words, right? Anyway, we went to our favorite restaurant. Awesome food. Terrible ambiance. I mean really, the yellow walls are manic-inducing and the un-even tiles on the floor make for some ear-piercing scrapes as chairs are adjusted but again, the food is fantastic. It's not really a setting for a quiet romantic dinner but we were soothed by our attempts to re-design and re-decorate the space through osmosis and sheer will. We felt the transformation. It was nice.

We drove across town to attend a movie. We were early so we sat in the car talking. Jimmy asked to me tell him a memory from the years we've been together and while many things raced through my mind I could sum it all up in one word...Lucky! We talked about how much we've been through, been dragged through, and pulled through. And it feels good. "You NEVER give up." he says. I like that. It felt good to hear him say that.

Anyway, my new thing, is cupcakes. I love them. They are best when the textures are extreme. There is a cupcake called the ultimate brownie and it is amazing. The cupcake part is fudgy, and crunchy, with crispy soft toasted marshmallows on top and then covered with a rich and creamy swirl of chocolate frosting. It makes me happy to eat it. The cupcake store has a pretty decent young and hip vibe to it but even so, we re-decorated a little bit while we indulged. We added some nice leather couches and a coffee table to make it a little bit more homey and while I watched him I realized something...And then I text-ed him about it. From across the table.

It said..."I fell in love once over a frozen yogurt and I just did it again over a cupcake."

He blushed.

I smirked.

How's that for romantic!?

Happy Anniversary, Jimmy.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, that was cute. And you are such a good writer Jenn.

    Happy anniversary J&J!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story.

    (Speaking of love, have you introduced him to Froot Mallows yet?)

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been fifty years since this last post.

    ReplyDelete