Saturday, March 21, 2009

POWERFUL BEYOND MEASURE

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
You playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And as we let our light shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.”

--Marianne Williamson


I stole this from the blog belonging to my trainer, Lisa. The author is listed. I don't know who she is but she's a genius. These words speak to me. They speak to a place that hides behind the inadequacies and the fear that peek through sometimes. While I run I have these thoughts that travel with me. I run the tangent. My thoughts don't always follow. The quality of my run determines the level of fight it takes to keep my errant thoughts away from the uneven cant.

Today, I counted. To 95. Dozens of times. Cadence counts! (The most efficient runners step on each foot 95-100 times per minute.)

After a while though, I got tired and those little rebels went straight for the middle of the road. (I'm not crazy. Try running long distances and see what happens in your brain...) "What makes you think you can do it..." "You are too slow..."

But then, as everyone should do, I practiced some self-mastery and reigned those suckers in.

I thought about the above words and felt strong. Please let them help you too.

4 comments:

  1. Oh crap that is just what I need. Will you make me a mental machine. It seems that when you focus on the brain.....it's amazing where your little legs will carry you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I'm learning to break things down. Even sometimes, to the next power pole or the next mail box. Positive self talk is important, too. And sometimes I'm just silly. Just to distract myself. It works though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that quote before, but I swear it was credited to Nelson Mandela. Whoever said it, they are a genius. Blow a kiss to those Idaho potato fields for me on your run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Olsen,

    Mandela has often been incorrectly sited as the "owner" of this quote. He used this quote in his 1994 inaugaration speech, mostly to refer to the last line about "as we liberate our fears..."

    Have you ever noticed the tempurature differences that happen when you move from a field growing wheat and then to a field growing potatoes?

    ReplyDelete