Monday, June 6, 2011

sunshine

i hiked/ran a trail today that i have been on before but only when it was covered in several feet of snow. i found it very interesting that while i could recognize many of the landmarks that helped me determine my progression in that snow, i also noticed things i couldn't see before because they were buried. i noticed tunnels through the brush and boulders i'd never seen. not just rocks, actual boulders. and giant gnarly tree trunks and tiny streams of water. and it was hot! so hot that as i climbed in elevation i peeled off layers of clothes and let the heat from the sunshine cover my skin. it occured to me that all of these natural forces had been there all along but had been surrounded by snow; lost from sight.

this past year has been very challenging for me and i have felt at times that i had lost myself in the stress and chaos of it all. i haven't been doing the things that feed my soul and my spirit and my confidence has been low. over time though, with the help of people that i love and a whole lot of searching, i have slowly been able to crawl out of this empty space and see myself again. and it feels really good.

i wondered, out loud, where i had been for so many monthes. and then i realized i had not been lost, just buried under the layers of protection. like the elements and formations that had been covered in snow, parts of my personality and my peace had been submerged. and i just needed some sunshine to melt off those layers.

as i hiked/ran on the trail the wind danced through the trees and blew wisps of hair from my face i was able to view the world and see those hidden treasures that had been lost to me before. more importantly though, i saw myself again as i looked unencumbered by stress. and as i peeled off layers of clothing i let burdens fall away and uncover those creations that have built my character. it was good, and i was grateful for the sunshine.

i AM grateful for the sunshine and love that i have some in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment